WHAT IS GERMANY?
- Martin Luther and the Reformation
- Famous musicians, philosophers and psychologists
- Liberal Theology and Enlightenment
- World Wars and the Holocaust
- Technical advances and brilliant scientists
- Traditions and religion contrasting with communism and atheism
- An economic world power
- Alps and castles, the Rhine and the Danube, forests and lakes, Berlin and Munich.
GERMANY IS PEOPLE
- People known for their precision and punctuality.
- People who pride themselves for their directness
- “They tell it like it is”.
- People known for thorough and insightful analysis.
- People who are self-confident – placing a high priority on education.
Germany needs the gospel of Jesus Christ. In spite of many great theologians in the past, the influence of liberal theology, dead traditions and modern psychology have nearly silenced the message of the Word of God. Germany needs people who are convinced of the sufficiency of the Word of God and who will advance the good news of salvation through Jesus Christ alone.
BMW’S HISTORY IN GERMANY
Biblical Ministries Worldwide looks back on a long history in Germany. Jack and Marie Matlack began working there under BMW's predecessor mission, Worldwide European Fellowship, in the late 1950s. Many missionaries have come since then and have contributed their part in helping start churches in Schongau, Weilheim, Marktoberdorf, Füssen, Augsburg, Neu Ulm, Berlin and Gruenheide. Originally the emphasis was on working in Roman Catholic Bavaria, but since Communism failed and the wall fell separating the two Germanys, our concentration has moved to the former East.
PRESENT OUTREACH IN GERMANY
- There continues to be some input and support for churches started in the South. It is exciting to see what God has done in an area of Germany where there was very little gospel witness just 50 years ago.
- Ron and Hildegard Furst are residing and working in Wangen, South Germany, assisting a German Church through seminars, workshops, mentoring and Christian literature, to strengthen the believers and encourage them in their personal walk and outreach.
- A team of BMW missionaries (Dan and Deb Willoughby and family, David and Linda Sweet and family and Chris Sears) started out in eastern Berlin and worked together with German believers in starting a church there. Chris Sears continues to reach out in that part of the city. She has many contacts with unbelievers and continues to supports the church (Christen in Marzahn/Hellersdorf - CMH). Chris also continues to help in two other originally BMW outreaches in Berlin – one among communist Vietnamese living in eastern Berlin (This is now led by our partner mission, The German Inland Mission), and a young church planting outreach among the hearing impaired in Berlin. There are over 5000 hearing impaired people living in Berlin and there is a great need for reaching them with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- BMW has a great desire to see the fire of the gospel rekindled in that part of Germany where in 1517 the Reformation with Martin Luther originally began and from where it spread throughout much of Germany and into many parts of Europe and even the world. After 60 years behind the iron curtain and the devastating influence of liberal theology this area is now largely atheistic. David and Linda Sweet are partnering with the German Inland Mission and reaching out into eastern Brandenburg. This is a region between the capitol city of Berlin and the Polish border. One church, in the town of Gruenheide is now under German leadership.
DESIRES FOR THE FUTURE
- To assist believers in southern Germany
- To start multiplying church plants in the whole region around the town of Fuerstenwalde – a city of 33000 in eastern Brandenburg, which functions as a hub for the surrounding villages and towns. The team there is getting involved in the community and is praying for people who are open to studying the Word of God and reaching those in their circle of influence. Open doors through:
- Giving English lessons. We are considering English camps, game nights etc.
- Teaching in the adult evening school
- Getting involved in senior citizen home
- Having youth Bible studies
- Getting involved in local art clubs and cultural programs
- Reaching out to neighbors and recognizing further opportunities to get to know people
- To have more co-workers – would you consider being part of reaching out into this needy area of Germany and to help rekindle the message that Germany needs the Word of God and the truth that salvation is by faith alone in the finished work of Jesus Christ? We need you!
- To enlist more prayer partners:
- For Southern Germany, especially for the work Ron and Hildegard Furst are doing in Wangen
- For Chris Sears' outreach in Berlin
- For the new outreach in eastern Brandenburg
You can be part of our team!
Team Berlin/Brandenburg has a blog as well as regular e-mail updates. If you are interested in receiving this information, please contact Dave Sweet at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the ministry here in Germany, contact Dave Sweet, or Dale Fries, BMW's Area Director for Europe.