A FORGOTTEN PAST
Long gone are the days of the Welsh Revival. Generations past are forgotten and the importance of trusting Christ has been laid aside to pursue other endeavors, such as education, sports or politics. Beautiful church buildings that were once filled with worship to the Lord, are now used for conveniences such as grocery stores, recreation centers, pubs and sadder still many are housing false religions.
A HOPELESS FUTURE
- Wales is believed to have the highest depression rate in the U.K.
- In 2006 Wales held the highest percentage of children’s suicide cases in the U.K.
- Cardiff, the capital of Wales, has one of the longest-established Muslim populations in the U.K.
- A 2007 survey found that fewer than 12% of the Welsh attend church of any kind. Of those, less than 2% are sitting underneath the true gospel message. Where does this leave the other 98%?
Wales is a unique country, lending itself to unique opportunities to reach the lost. Two necessary areas of outreach are of course church planting and church rescue. However, God also allows for creativity in developing relationships to further His gospel.
As is common in European culture, before we can ever be a witness, we must first be a friend. The Welsh have a lot to give as far as their culture, their passions and their community and we want to also give back to the community, and learn more about their culture. Below are some of the ways we hope to minister to the Welsh, while familiarizing ourselves with their culture and building relationships.
- Church Planting
- There are many areas here, as there are in every country, with no Gospel witness. In these areas, church planting is a vital need.
- Church Rescue
- There are many churches that do not have pastors and have not had for several years. To mentor and enable local spiritual leaders who can shepherd these small groups of believers would be a great help in advancing the Gospel.
- Public School System
- Unlike the United States, one of the most welcome outreaches in the country of Wales is surprisingly the public school system. Public schools have specific periods set aside for religious training. These class periods welcome religious leaders of all faiths to come and share their faith with the students.
- Evangelism Meets Creativity
- EMT Counseling Services for those who deal with sickness and death on a regular basis.
- Graphic Design/Printing Services for small local businesses will open opportunities to meet local folks, as well as serve them on a volunteer basis.
- Hosting Teas is a great way to meet the community and share God's Word in a more comfortable setting. Already proven effective in some parts of Wales.
- Mum & Tots Groups have also proven to be an effective evangelism outreach.
- Various Clubs and Groups are also an important part of Welsh life -- (i.e. Photo Clubs, Walking Clubs, Biking Clubs) -- what an opportunity for outreach!
Currently there is but one family appointed to serve in Wales, and much work to be done there for the Lord. Could He be leading you to help fill that need?
For more information, please contact Dale Fries, BMW's Area Director for Europe.